Which sports does Maranatha offer?

Fall sports: football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, men’s cross country, women’s cross country, and volleyball.
Winter sports: men’s basketball, women’s basketball and men’s wrestling.
Spring sports: baseball and softball.

Which Conference is Maranatha in?

Maranatha is part of the NCAA Division III (www.ncaa.org) as well as the NCCAA Division II (National Christian College Athletic Association, www.thenccaa.org). On a local level, the NCAA conference we participate in is the AD3I (Association of Division III Independents) which is made up of independent colleges from around the nation. In wrestling, we are members of the Northern Wrestling Association.

Does Maranatha offer athletic scholarships?

No, NCAA Division III and NCCAA Division II do not allow the awarding of athletic scholarships.

What does my GPA have to be in order to play sports?

A student athlete must earn a GPA of 1.75 or higher at the end of their first semester. After that, students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher at the end of each semester to be eligible for the next semester. Transfer students’ first semester’s GPA is based on cumulative GPA from previous institution. You must have been eligible to participate in athletics had you remained at the institution. After the first semester at Maranatha, the cumulative GPA is based solely on MBBC classes and must still be a 2.0.

How does Academic status (ASI, ASII, Probation, Interim progress) affect my ability to participate in sports?

Students who have the academic status of ASI or ASII are only eligible to participate in one extracurricular activity a semester. Click here for more information on Academic Eligibility.

How many credit hours do I need to take?

Athletes must maintain (take) and pass at least 12 credit hours each semester. They must also pass at least 24 credits in the previous two semesters. In the final semester of a program, a student-athlete may take less than the 12 credits if they are completing their degree.

Do I need health insurance to play sports? If so, how much?

Yes, you must be covered by insurance in order to play sports. The insurance policy must have a minimum coverage of $90,000 and cover sport specific athletic-related injuries. Insurance paperwork requires parental signatures, so they should be taken care of before you arrive on campus. Click here for more information.

How do I go about trying out for a team?

All teams have open tryouts. Click here for specific dates for each sport.

Fall sports start with pre-season in August.
Winter sports start practice in October.
Spring sports start practice in February.

How can I contact a coach?

You can access a list of coaches on the Coaches and Staff page. This will give you an email link to all the coaches.

Which medical form do I need–physical or health history?

Incoming students must submit their medical forms to the Admissions Office. They must also complete the Athletic Health History Questionnaire online. All athletes must complete the Health History Questionnaire online.

What if I overcut my classes more than 20% because of sports participation?

Contact the Registrar’s Office for information on getting reinstated into the class.

Who is Maranatha’s Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR)?

Timothy Miller. The Faculty Athletic Representative plays a key role in NCAA institutions as the representative of the institution’s faculty in the relationship between the NCAA and the institution. Among other things, his responsibilities include the personal and academic welfare of the student-athlete and matters of compliance.

Who do I contact with Title IX questions?

Dr. Kevin Montney. The Title IX Coordinator is the individual at the institution responsible to oversee gender equity. Dr. Montney has worked hard to make sure policies and procedures are in place for fair and equitable treatment of all students. His door is always open to help the students with any needs that might arise in this area.

I have a question about my eligibility. Who do I contact?

Steven Carlson. Mr. Carlson is the individual to contact if you have any questions about eligibility; however, his responsibilities don’t end there. Besides being responsible to make sure that the institution is in compliance with NCAA, NCCAA, and institutional rules, he also helps with educating the coaches about conference rules, issues and tracking student-athletes’ educational progress.

I want to make sure I can handle my class load and get good grades. Are there any programs available to help me?

Christina Miller. The Learning Assistance Program is designed to assist students who are struggling with time management, test taking, written assignments or sense a general need for academic assistance. Many types of assistance are available to any student upon request. Stop in and visit with Mrs. Miller to find out what the Learning Assistance Program can do for you.