Music Program Entry Requirements
In addition to the standard college admissions process, students who desire to pursue a major or minor in music should complete a Performance Assessment Packet. This five-step process detailed below is to help our music faculty determine the student’s level and musical background and give advice to the student prior to arrival.
Students who complete the scholarship application requirements and submit their performance assessment packet by the priority deadline of March 1 are eligible to be awarded scholarships.
Step One: Repertoire List
Compile a list of repertoire you have studied organized by the composer/arranger’s last name and attach to the Music Degree Application (see Step 4).
Step Two: Letters of Recommendation
Ask your private lesson teacher to email a letter of recommendation to Dr. David Ledgerwood. A letter of recommendation from your band or choir director would also be valued.
Step Three: Performance Recordings
Make a performance recording for professional assessment by the MBU music faculty following the guidelines below:
- Majors: record 3 selections.
- Minors: record 2 selections.
- Selections should be contrasting in style, tempo, and musical era and should be of sufficient difficulty to show your musical and technical capabilities in each style.
- Memorization is encouraged, but not required for this assessment.
- Submit your recordings online by opening a Vimeo or YouTube account and uploading your recordings. Copy and paste the video link(s) into the Music Degree Application. To be sure you are submitting the correct links on your Music Degree Application, please log out of Vimeo/Youtube and check the links. If the links do not work, you need to click “share” on the video to obtain a shareable link. (If your files are large, you may want to compress your videos by downloading the free online program “Handbrake.”)
Step Four: Submit your Performance Assessment Packet
- Complete the Music Degree Application. To fill out the online music degree application, go to mbu.edu/packet and choose the Music Degree Application link. Be sure your repertoire list is ready to attach and recording links are ready to copy and paste before starting the application.
- Choose your submission date from one of the dates below. The sooner you complete this process, the sooner our music faculty can advise you.
- Fall Semester Start:
- Submit packet by April 15—receive feedback by May 15
- Submit packet by July 15—receive feedback by August 15
- Spring Semester Start:
- Submit packet by November 15—receive feedback by December 15
Step Five: Complete the Music Theory Placement Test
- The online Music Theory Placement Test is required for ALL music majors and minors.
- A link to the test will be sent to all applicants who have been accepted to the University and indicated their interest in a music major or minor.
- All new music students must take this test by August 1 or be automatically registered for the Music Theory Fundamentals course.
- Test content includes questions about the very basics of music theory such as clefs, note names, intervals, key signatures, major/minor scales and chords.
- Students will be notified of their test results via email.