- Date: Thursday afternoon before Great Lakes Music Festival—January 28, 2016.
- Performance Times: Entrants will be notified of their assigned performance time via email by the second Monday of January (January 11, 2016).
- Performance Time Limit: Students will perform for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Evaluation: All students will receive written feedback via email within one week of the performance.
- Competition Performances: The competition performances are open to the public, and competitors are strongly encouraged to stay and listen to the other performers.
- Winner from the Previous Year: The 1st place winner may not compete the following year.
- Announcement of Winners: The winners will be announced and awarded their scholarships and cash prizes 15 minutes after the final performance.
- Dinner: Following the last performance of the afternoon (approximately 5:00 PM) and announcement of the winners (approximately 5:15 PM), competitors and their families/friends are invited to join the adjudicators and other music faculty for dinner in MBU’s Dining Commons. Complimentary tickets will be provided for the contestants, and family and friends may purchase tickets at the DC door.
- Students must be in 9-12 grade.
- Students must perform two memorized, early advanced-advanced level classical pieces.
- The pieces need to be in contrasting styles and different musical eras: 1 piece needs to be Baroque or Classical, and 1 piece needs to be Romantic, Impressionistic or 20th Century
- No original compositions.
- The pieces must be solo (e.g. no concerto parts).
- The repertoire must be at a minimum level of Masterwork Classics Book 9/Celebration Series Repertoire Book 8.
- The repertoire must be less than 15 minutes in length. Repeats are optional if the repeats can be played within the allotted time. Contestants will not be penalized for not taking repeats. Contestants should indicate whether they will be playing repeats on their music for the judges.
- Students must perform the pieces listed on their registration forms. Students not doing so will be disqualified.
- Complete Application: Students must complete the online competition application.
- Competition Fee: Pay $35 online.
- Limited Openings: Please register ASAP because we have a limited number of openings.
- Application/Payment Deadline: Applications must be submitted by the first Monday of January (January 4, 2016).
Piano Competition Prizes:
- $1000 Scholarship to MBU-non transferrable.
- $100 Cash Award.
- Encore performance of one piece at the Great Lakes Music Festival Concert on Saturday, January 30, 2016.
- $500 Scholarship to MBU-non transferrable.
- $50 Cash Award.