- Date: Thursday Evening before Great Lakes Music Festival—January 29, 2015.
- Performance Times: Entrants will be notified of their assigned performance time via email by January 12.
- Performance Time Limit: Students will perform for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Evaluation: All students will receive written feedback via email within one week of the performance.
- Competition Performance: The competition performances are open to the public, and competitors are strongly encouraged to stay and listen to the other performers.
- Complimentary Reception: Following the last performance of the evening, competitors and their families/friends are invited to a complimentary reception in Burckart Hall.
- Announcement of Winners: The winners will be announced and awarded their cash prizes 15 minutes after the final performance.
- Students must be in 9-12 grade.
- Students must perform two memorized, early advanced-advanced level classical pieces.
- The pieces need to be in contrasting styles and different musical eras: 1 piece needs to be Baroque or Classical, and 1 piece needs to be Romantic, Impressionistic or 20th Century
- No original compositions.
- The pieces must be solo (e.g. no concerto parts).
- The repertoire must be at a minimum level of Masterwork Classics Book 9/Celebration Series Repertoire Book 8.
- The repertoire must be less than 15 minutes in length. Repeats are optional if the repeats can be played within the allotted time. Contestants will not be penalized for not taking repeats. Contestants should indicate whether they will be playing repeats on their music for the judges.
- Students must perform the pieces listed on their registration forms. Students not doing so will be disqualified.
- Complete Application: Students must complete the online competition application.
- Competition Fee: Pay $30 online.
- Limited Openings: Please register ASAP because we have a limited number of openings.
- Application/Payment Deadline: Applications must be submitted by January 6, 2015.
1st place: $100 and an encore performance of one piece at the Great Lakes Music Festival Concert on Saturday, January 31, 2015.
2nd place: $50