Private Lessons are offered for students ages 6 through Adult (younger ages by special permission only)
Students can choose to take a 30-, 45- or 60-minute private lesson.
Private lessons are scheduled at a mutually convenient time for the student and instructor.
Specific Lesson Dates:
Please refer to the calendar for start and end private lesson semester dates.
Your student is assigned an instructor based on the student’s learning style and personality. (You may request an instructor; however, you may be placed on the instructor’s waiting list.)
The lesson structure will be adjustable to meet the needs of each individual student.
Depending on the goals of the student, private lessons may consist of a combination of any or all of the following:
- music theory
- music history
- ear training
- pianistic technique
- educational repertoire
- hymn improvisation
Group Classes for Private Lesson Students
General Group Class Info
General Group Class Info:
- Tuition: Group classes are offered as an additional “perk” for piano prep school students taking private lessons – no fee is charged for private lesson students. Non-prep school students may enroll for a fee of $72 per course each semester (example: one semester of theory = $72; one semester of ensembles = $72).
- Participation: Participation is encouraged, but not required.
- Attendance Expectations: Group classes are offered on a weekly basis. Faithful attendance is expected.
- Class Length: Varies from 30-60 minutes
- Teachers: Maranatha Faculty and Interns teach group classes.
- Registering for Classes: Please indicate on your registration form: New Student Registration or Current Student Registration.
Group Class Offerings
- Monday Performance and Ensemble Classes (3:45-4:30): We meet in Old Main Burckart Hall for performance time from 3:45-4:00. At 4:00 we divide into ensembles by age/ability. A student unable to be at Maranatha by 3:45 for the performance time may participate in ensembles starting at 4:00.
- Tuesday Theory Classes Levels 1-6 (4:40-5:10): If you were not in the theory program last semester, please contact the Prep School Director to take a diagnostic test.
- Performance Masterclasses: Throughout the semester, we offer Performance Masterclasses for intermediate and advanced levels. Students not attending weekly group classes (theory and ensembles) are encouraged to attend these performance masterclasses. Masterclass dates are announced in the “Prep School Announcement” emails. Students attending a performance masterclass need to perform, even if they only perform one page of a piece. Dates TBA.
- Contest Help Days: These times will be scheduled as needed. Dates will be announced in weekly prep school announcement emails.
- Early Childhood Music and Movement: See Early Childhood Music for details.
Group Class Policies
Group Class Policies:
- Parents of students age six and under are expected to bring their children to the designated classroom on time and pick them up promptly following lessons.
- Students should not arrive earlier than 10 minutes before the class or leave later than 10 minutes after the class unless they have lessons before or after the class.
- For the safety of the students, if a designated person other than the parent will be taking a student home, the parent needs to notify the instructor prior to the lesson/class.
Benefits of Group Classes
Benefits of Group Classes:
- Provide confidence in playing for others.
- Stimulate critical listening as students hear other students perform and comment on those performances.
- Allow students to broaden their musical experiences.
- Expose students to a variety of piano materials.
- Provide a setting where drills and exercises are more interesting and motivating
- Facilitate the performances of ensembles including duets, trios, quartets and multiple ensembles.
- Provide opportunities for supervised practice.
- Establish a group dynamic that increases motivation.
- Foster the development of communication skills.
- Allow students to learn from peers as well as teacher.