The Master of Arts in Church Music program is designed for the student who seeks a master’s degree in church music with a biblical and theological emphasis. It allows individuals who serve in ministry positions to enhance their Biblical and church music knowledge. This program is designed with flexible course scheduling so students can obtain an advanced degree in music without having to leave a current ministry or career.
- To comprehend basic elements of biblical and systematic theology from a dispensational hermeneutical perspective
- To evaluate the appropriateness of music specifically for the church setting
- To develop and implement a coherent philosophy of church music
- To demonstrate the ability to organize, direct, and assess the music program of a local church
- To demonstrate faithfulness to the Holy Spirit’s work through God’s Word in his or her personal life and ministry
All but three of these courses are offered online, although students may attend more campus classes if they desire. Three courses must be taken on the Maranatha campus in one-week modules.
- A minimum of 34 semester hours of approved credit must be completed for the Master of Arts in Church Music.
- The Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an approved institution must be held by the applicant.
- No more than 12 semester hours of graduate credit from another institution may be applied toward this degree.
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better must be earned.
- A maximum of two C grades will be credited toward graduation.
|GOT541 Exposition of Psalms||3|
|GST520 Dispensationalism and Dispensational Hermeneutics||3|
|Elective Classes: Choose one of the following|
|GST611 ST 1 Bibliology, Theology Proper||2|
|GST612 ST 2 Christology and Pneumatology||3|
|GST613 ST 3 Anthropology, Hamartiology, and Soteriology||3|
|GST614 ST 4 Eschatology, Angelology, and Ecclesiology||3|
|GPA 615 Theology of Prayer and Worship||2|
|GCM 501 Basic Music Literature*||3|
|GCM 502 Introduction to Analysis*||3|
|GCM 510 Philosophy of Music||3|
|GCM 511 History of Sacred Music||3|
|GCM 512 Analysis||3|
|GCM 513 Music Resources and Literature||2|
|GCM 514 Childrens Ministries||2|
|GCM 520 Hymnology and Songleading||3|
|GCM 521 Choral Conducting 1 (3)||2|
|GCM 522 Choral Conducting 2 (4)||2|
|GCM 530 Applied Lessons||1|
|GCM 531 Applied Lesson||1|
|Total Hours Required:†- On Campus Modules*- May be waived through testing
(3) – GCM 520 is a prerequisite to this course.
(4) – GCM 521 is a prerequisite for this course.