Old Main reflects the respect we have for our heritage and the value we place on God’s provision. Combined with Century House, Old Main is the first facility Dr. Cedarholm visited on campus and has, since 1968, served the Maranatha family well. Every student who has attended Maranatha has taken at least one class in the building, and many recitals, performances, and meetings have occurred within these walls.
In preparation for the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Maranatha Baptist University in Watertown, there are multiple phases of the Heritage Project that have been completed:
- PHASE 1: The “Necessary Project” involves construction of two handicap-accessible restrooms on first floor of Old Main. This $25,000 project has been funded by the Alumni Association [PROJECT COMPLETED SUMMER 2014].
- PHASE 2: The “Grand Re-entry” involves reconstruction of the East Entrance to Old Main. This is the formal entrance to campus and is also the location of the Cedarholms’ gravesites. We propose to enhance this approach to the building with a new stair entrance from the parking lot, new landscaping, replacement of the Academy windows on the east wall, and upgrades to the front porch as required. This project’s estimated cost is $100,000 [PROJECT COMPLETED SUMMER 2015].
- PHASE 3: “Project HVAC” involves replacing of the HVAC system utilized for the Academic Offices and the Main Conference Room. This project’s estimated cost is $20,000 [PROJECT COMPLETED SUMMER 2015].
- PHASE 4: The “Old Main Refresh” involves renovation of the first floor corridors of Old Main. This $155,000 project will include enhancements like a new entry system into the first floor of Old Main, new ceilings and lights, new wall surfaces, and new flooring [PROJECT COMPLETED SUMMER 2015].
Overall, the improvements to Old Main have totaled $300,000.
God answered our prayers to complete these first renovations of Old Main during the summer of 2015. Your gifts toward this grand building have greatly supported and encouraged us as we continue our mission to develop leaders for ministry in the local church and the world “To the Praise of His Glory.”
We have identified the next three phases of the Heritage Project:
- PHASE 5: The “Student Center Renovation” involves the space adjacent to Old Main Cafe on the west side of the building. Presently this space is used for studying, meetings, relaxation, and other activities throughout the day. Our plan is to remove the glass sunroom and replace it with a new gable-roofed structure in keeping with the character of the 1890s historic building. Also included is an Alumni Plaza that will be located on the west side of the building facing into the center of campus. This project’s estimated cost is $150,000. [COMPLETED SUMMER OF 2016].
- PHASE 6: The “Practice Room Refresh” involves the completion/upgrading of our practice rooms. In 1968, the rooms located on the second floor on the west side of Old Main were used for student housing. Over the years, the rooms have been transformed into practice rooms for our fine arts students and offices for some faculty members. These rooms are in need of renovation, including walls, ceilings, lighting, floor covering, and HVAC. This project’s estimated cost is $60,000. [COMPLETED SUMMER OF 2018].
- PHASE 7: “HVAC for Burckart Hall” involves updating the HVAC system of that space. Burckart Hall is used for student and guest recitals, Music Prep School recitals, and other special functions throughout the year. Burckart Hall is a world-class recital hall due to the extensive renovations accomplished in 2010. Providing this system will help us maintain this space so that our students and others may use it for many years to come. This project’s estimated cost is $100,000, with completion, Lord willing, in summer of 2019.