If you are interested in biology and are seeking a flexible preparation for further work in other science professions or in research, the general track of Maranatha’s Biology major is your best choice.
This program provides ample opportunities to study plants and animals, classify various forms of organisms, make observations, analyze evidence, and solve problems in a quest to increase your understanding of the world God created.
- Science educator
- Marine biologist
- Park ranger
- Zoo biologist
- Medical researcher
*Some careers and employment positions require graduate degrees, specialized training, or additional certification and licenses.
Biology: General Program Outcomes
- Command of basic concepts of biology on the molecular, cellular, organismal, and ecological level, as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Biology 1 and 2.
- Understand the taxonomy, anatomy, and physiology of animals and human as demonstrated with a C- or above in General Biology 1&2 and Anatomy and Physiology 1&2.
- Understand the basis of the microbial world including microbe-human interactions with applications in healthcare as demonstrated by a C- or above in Microbiology.
- Understand basic chemical structures and reactions as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Chemistry 1&2, Organic Chemistry 1.
- Understand common biochemical processes as demonstrated by a C- or above in Biochemistry.
- Understand and apply basic principles of statistics with applications to scientific research, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Probabilities and Statistics.
- Be able to compose scientific papers as demonstrated by a C- or above in Technical Writing, and a passing grade on an original report of scientific research in Ecology Cell and Molecular Biology or Biochemistry.
- Belief in young-earth creationism. Be able to defend the Christian faith Biblically as demonstrated by a C- or above in Modern Creationary Thought and Apologetics.
- Demonstrate a broad variety of knowledge and field work skills in botany, zoology, and ecology as demonstrated by a C- or above in Botany, Vertebrate Zoology, Ecology, and Laboratory & Field Investigations.
- Command of the basic knowledge and skills to conduct laboratory research in genetics and molecular biology, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Genetics, Molecular and Cell Biology 1&2, and Molecular Genetics Research.
- As leaders in local churches and society, students are to demonstrate a well-rounded education with a C- or above in the humanities and Bible core courses.