Protecting Your Testimony: Why & What
Living in a manner that glorifies God is our utmost purpose (I Corinthians 10:31-33). We are instructed in James 1:27 that: Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this… to keep himself unspotted from the world… The Testimony section of the Student Life Handbook highlights several areas that Christians must guard themselves from causing damage to their testimony and the testimonies of the Lord and Maranatha.
Students must abide by these biblical mandates at all times (including during breaks, vacations, and holidays). Commission of one or more of the following infractions, or failure to report the commission of one or more of the following infractions, will result in disciplinary action and in many cases, suspension or dismissal.
Following is a list of some egregious sins that bring reproach on the Lord, yourself, and Maranatha.
- Abortion, or assisting someone to obtain
Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Matthew 19:18; Psalm 127:3
- Substance abuse; possession consumption, distribution, or attendance where alcohol, drugs or tobacco is used
Proverbs 21:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
- Tobacco products, possession or use; other controlled substances
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Matt 19:19b Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Leviticus 19:18; Proverbs 6:16-19; 1 John 2:9, 3:15
- Cheating (including plagiarism);
Romans 12:17 Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Ephesians 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another.
Proverbs 6:16-17, 12:19,22; 101:75.
- Cheating (including plagiarism);
Matthew 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Malachi 2:15-16; Hebrews 13:4
- Doctrine, serious deviation and/or promotion of the same.
Mark 7:7 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
2 Peter 2:1; Titus 3:10
Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Matthew 6:24; Luke 12:15; 1 Timothy 6:9-10
- Illegal activity
Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same.
- Music concert, unapproved
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- Occult activity/practices
Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
Galatians 5:19-20; Revelation 21:8
- Inappropriate Communication
Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain
- Public or Private (social media)
- Vulgar/Crude Language
Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Exodus 20:7; Proverbs 18:21; Matthew 12:36
Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Genesis 1:27; Acts 10:34-35; Romans 2:11; Galatians 3:28
- Rebellion, manifestation of a destructive influence or spirit of controversy or the engendering of a spirit contrary to the purpose and principles for which Maranatha stands.
1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
Proverbs 17:11; Ephesians 5:6; 1 Peter 3:10
- Sexual immorality or harassment or violence
1 Timothy 5:22b Keep thyself pure 1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5; Hebrews 13:4; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
- Indecent exposure
- Compromising situations with the opposite sex
- Couples alone in a home or apartment
- Vulgar/crude language
- Sexual assault, physical abuse, stalking, dating violence, domestic violence (also see Sexual Offense and Violence Support and Procedures).
- Sexual immorality including adultery, homosexual behavior, and premarital sex.