Click on the title to order from Amazon; your purchase helps Maranatha. You can also click on the button to view the full Pastor’s Library
- Competent to Counsel. Adams, Jay.
“A Classic in the Field of Christian Counseling Competent to Counsel has helped thousands of pastors, students, laypersons, and Christian counselors develop both a general approach to Christian counseling and a specific response to particular problems. Using biblically directed discussion, nouthetic counseling works by means of the Holy Spirit to bring about change in the personality and behavior of the counselee. As Dr. Jay Adams points out in his introduction, ‘I have been engrossed in the project of developing biblical counseling and have uncovered what I consider to be a number of important scriptural principles. . . . There have been dramatic results. . . . Not only have people’s immediate problems been resolved, but there have also been solutions to all sorts of long-term problems as well.’ Since its first publication in 1970, this book has gone through over thirty printings. It establishes the basis for and an introduction to a counseling approach that is being used in pastors’ studies, in counseling centers, and across dining room tables throughout the country and around the world” -Amazon.com
Here are some other books on counseling and discipleship that you might be interested in.
- The Christian Counselor’s Manual. Adams, Jay.
- Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet. Emlet, Michael.
- The Disciple-Making Pastor. Hull, Bill.
- Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically. MacArthur, John.
- Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives). Tripp, Paul.
- How People Change. Tripp, Paul and Timothy Lane.