Click on the title to order from Amazon; your purchase helps Maranatha. You can also click on the button to view the full Pastor’s Library
- Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification (Spectrum). Alexander, Donald L., ed.
“How can we grow closer to God? Is there a secret to spiritual life? Do we need a second blessing? Is sanctification God’s work or ours? Is it instantaneous or is it a process? The nature of Christian spirituality has been widely debated throughout the history of the church. The doctrine of sanctification was one of the main fissures separating Luther from the Catholic Church. Even today different groups of Protestants disagree on how we draw closer to God. What distinguishes the different positions and what exactly is at stake in these recurring debates? To answer these questions Donald L. Alexander, professor of biblical theology at Bethel College, has brought together five scholars that represent each of the main historical Protestant traditions:
- Gerhard O. Forde on the Lutheran view
- Sinclair B. Ferguson on the Reformed view
- Laurence W. Wood on the Wesleyan view
- Russell P. Spittler on the Pentecostal view
- E. Glenn Hinson on the Contemplative view
With an introduction by Alexander and responses to each of the main essays by the other contributors, this book provides a helpful and stimulating introduction to an important doctrine of the church.” -Amazon.com
Here are some other books on soteriology that might interest you.
- Sin, the Savior, and Salvation: The Theology of Everlasting Life. Lightner, Robert P.
- Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspective in Tension. Carson, D. A.
- The Cross and Salvation: The Doctrine of Salvation. Demarest, Bruce.
- Absolutely Free: A Biblical Reply to Lordship Salvation. Hodges, Zane C.
- Saved by Grace. Hoekema, Anthony A.
- The Gospel According to Jesus. MacArthur, John F., Jr.
- Redemption Accomplished and Applied. Murray, John.
- So Great Salvation: What It Means to Believe in Jesus Christ. Ryrie, Charles C.
- Still Sovereign: Contemporary Perspectives on Election, Foreknowledge, and Grace. Schreiner, Thomas R. and Bruce A. Ware.