Click on the title to order from Amazon; your purchase helps Maranatha. You can also click on the button to view the full Pastor’s Library
- Genesis: A Commentary. Waltke, Bruce K. and Cathi J. Fredricks.
“This landmark commentary marshals the vast experience and brilliant insights of one of today’s most revered Old Testament scholars. To those familiar with the work of Bruce K. Waltke, the significance and value of Genesis will be instantly apparent. Others who are unfamiliar with Waltke have only to read the first few chapters to understand why he has earned the reputation of a scholar’s scholar, and why this masterful volume stands like a monolith among Old Testament commentaries. Exploring the first book of the Bible as ‘theological literature,’ Waltke illuminates its meanings and methods for the pastor, scholar, teacher, student, and Bible-lover. Genesis strikes an unusual balance by emphasizing the theology of the Scripture text while also paying particular attention to the flow and development of the plot and literary techniques–inclusion, irony, chiasm, and concentric patterning–that shape the message of the ‘book of beginnings’. Genesis Models the way to read and interpret the narratives of the book of Genesis Provides helpful exegetical notes that address key issues and debates surrounding the text Includes theological reflections on how the message addresses our contemporary theological and social issues, such as ecology, homosexuality, temperance, evil, prayer, and obedience Addresses critical interpretive issues, such as authenticity, date, and authorship For all the author’s formidable intellect and meticulous research, Genesis is amazingly accessible. This is no mere study tool. Lucidly and eloquently written, it is a work of the heart that helps us not only to understand deeply God’s Word in its context, but also to consider how it applies to us today.” -Amazon.com
Here are several more recommended books on Genesis that you might find interesting
- The Book of Genesis. New International Commentary on the Old Testament. 1-17. Hamilton, Victor P.
- The Book of Genesis. New International Commentary on the Old Testament Series. 18-50 . Hamilton, Victor P.
- Exposition of Genesis: Volumes 1 and 2 . Leupold, H. C.
- Genesis 1- 11:26. New American Commentary. Matthews, Kenneth A.
- Genesis 11:27-50. New American Commentary. Matthews, Kenneth A.
- Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth. Mortenson, Terry and Thane H. Ury, eds.
- Creation and Blessing: A Guide to the Study and Exposition of Genesis. Ross, Allen P
- Genesis. The NIV Application Commentary. Walton, John H. Genesis.