Commencement | May 4 – 5, 2023
Schedule of Events
|THURSDAY||8:30 a.m.||Nurses Pinning Ceremony||Gymnasium|
|THURSDAY||10:30 a.m.||Graduate Candidate Chapel||Gymnasium|
|THURSDAY||12:00 noon||Graduate Candidate Luncheon||Dining Complex|
|FRIDAY||12:00 noon||Lunch||Dining Complex|
Tickets are required for convocation main floor seating. Open seating will be available in the bleachers.
Nursery is provided for Baccalaureate and Commencement. Children under 5 years old will not be permitted in either service.
MBU Commencement is a formal academic ceremony, conducted with dignity. Proper attire and respectful behavior are expected.
NEW OPPORTUNITY FOR CLASS OF 2023
Choose a timeless reminder of your years at Maranatha. Available in men’s and women’s sizes.
Order before May 22. Inside engraving available.
GRADUATION DETAILS FOR GRADUATES & GUESTS
GRADUATE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Commencement Dress Requirements | Graduate FAQs
Thursday, May 4
10:30 a.m. – Graduate Chapel | Gymnasium
12:00 noon – Graduate Candidate Luncheon | Dining Complex
1:30 p.m. – Graduation Rehearsal | Gymnasium
6:00-6:30 p.m. – Dress check for Main Campus Students | DC 202
6:30 p.m. – Roll call for all graduates – regalia required | Dining Complex
7:00 p.m. – Baccalaureate | Gymnasium
Friday, May 5
8:30 a.m. – Graduate Photos | Front steps of Old Main
9:00-9:30 a.m. – Dress check for Main Campus Students | DC 202
9:30 a.m. – Roll Call for all graduates – regalia required | Dining Complex
10:00 a.m. – Convocation | Gymnasium
Main Campus graduates who are marching for Convocation are expected to attend all of these events.
Online graduates who are marching for Convocation (Friday) but are not be able to attend Rehearsal or Baccalaureate (Thursday) should contact the Academic Office, email@example.com.
- Tickets are not required for seating at Baccalaureate on Thursday evening.
- Tickets are required for Main Floor seating at Convocation on Friday morning.
- Graduates must request reserved-seating tickets for their guests by submitting the Convocation Ticket Request Form between January 15 and March 15.
- Each graduate is guaranteed up to three (3) tickets. Additional tickets may be requested but are not guaranteed.
- Open seating is available on the bleachers (no ticket required).
- One VIP parking permit is provided with each graduate’s tickets. The parking permit cannot be replaced.
- Graduates will receive instructions regarding when and where to pick up their tickets and parking passes.
- Regalia is worn for the Baccalaureate service without honor cords or hoods.
- Full regalia is worn for Convocation, including honor cords and hoods.
- Mortar boards should be worn flat on top of the head, not off the back. Decorating of caps is not permitted.
- Students may borrow regalia from a recent graduate, as long as it matches the regalia shown on the order form.
- Only Maranatha-issued items may be worn over graduation regalia (ie, honor cords, stoles/sashes, medals),
- Graduate candidates will receive an email with links to order regalia and invitations.
- Contact Registrar@mbu.edu with questions about regalia.
|Degree||Regalia to order|
|MBBI||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Associate Degree||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Bachelor Degree||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Dual Bachelor and Master Degree||Master degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
|Master Degree||Master degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
|Doctoral Degree||Doctoral degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
- Associate degree with honors (3.50-4.00), white cord
- Cum Laude (3.50-3.74), blue/blue cord
- Magna Cum Laude (3.75-3.90), blue/gold cord
- Summa Cum Laude (3.91-4.00), gold/gold cord
The academic honors recognized at graduation will be based on the student’s cumulative GPA for all completed courses as of April 1 in the academic year during which the student graduates, including highest and second highest GPA, and commencement honors.
- Students will wear that specific honor regalia.
- The student’s final cumulative grade point average will determine the specific honor printed on the transcript and diploma.
Two undergraduates earning the highest grade point averages for the graduating class will be awarded medals signifying that honor. The medals will be awarded on Friday morning prior to Convocation.
Degree candidates will receive an empty diploma cover when crossing the stage at Convocation. Diploma covers are available upon request from the Registrar’s Office for graduates who will not be in attendance at Commencement.
No tickets are required for seating at Baccalaureate on Thursday evening.
Tickets are required for Main Floor reserved seating at Convocation on Friday morning.
- Graduates may order tickets for their guests between January 15 and March 15
- Tickets are limited
- Open seating (no ticket required) is available on the bleachers
- A limited number of seats will be available for guests not related to a graduate (pastors, friends, residential students) Please email: Commencement@mbu.edu
- Guests who have a parking pass may enter the west (main) campus entrance near the gymnasium and will be directed into the parking lot
- Other parking can be found along Main Street and in the lower lots on the east side of campus (enter through the east entrance)
- Handicap parking is available next to the gym, by entering the west (main) campus entrance
Children under five (5) years old will not be permitted in Baccalaureate or Convocation.
A Nursery is provided for both services.
- Nursery personnel includes Maranatha staff and students
- Registration at the door is required – staff will collect parent’s information (name, cell phone number, etc.) and instructions for each child
- Only the individual(s) identified at check-in may take the child from the nursery
- Nursery staff will send a text message to the cell phone listed at Registration if the child needs a family member’s attention during the event
- Cribs, swings, etc. are provided for infants
- Toys are provided for all ages
Meals may be purchased in the Dining Complex using cash, check, or credit card.
|Child (age 9 and under)||$2.75||$3.75||$4.50|
All attendees at Graduate Chapel on Thursday will receive a free lunch ticket to be used that day.
While most of MBU’s housing will be full the week of Commencement, there are various hotels and bed and breakfasts in the Watertown area.