ARE THERE ANY REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY INTO THE MUSIC PROGRAM?
In addition to the standard college admissions process, students who desire to pursue a major or minor in music should complete a Performance Assessment Packet. This five-step process detailed below is to help our music faculty determine the student’s level and musical background and give advice to the student prior to arrival.
Step One: Repertoire List
Compile a list of repertoire you have studied organized by the composer/arranger’s last name and attach to the Music Degree Application (see Step 4).
Step Two: Letters of Recommendation
Ask your private lesson teacher to email a letter of recommendation to Dr. David Ledgerwood. A letter of recommendation from your band or choir director would also be valued.
Step Three: Performance Recordings
Make a performance recording for professional assessment by the MBU music faculty following the guidelines below:
- Majors: record 3 selections. Minors: record 2 selections.
- Selections should be contrasting in style, tempo, and musical era and should be of sufficient difficulty to show your musical and technical capabilities in each style.
- Memorization is encouraged, but not required for this assessment.
- Submit your recordings online by opening a free vimeo.com account and uploading your recordings. Under settings—privacy, choose “hide this video from Vimeo.” Copy and paste the link(s) into the performance assessment packet application.
Step Four: Submit Your “Performance Assessment Packet”
- Complete the Music Degree Application. To fill out the online music degree application, go to mbu.edu/packet and choose the Music Degree Application link. Be sure your repertoire list is ready to attach and recording links are ready to copy and paste before starting the application.
- Choose your submission date from one of the dates below. The sooner you complete this process, the sooner our music faculty can advise you.
- Fall Semester Start:
- Submit packet by April 15—receive feedback by May 15
- Submit packet by July 15—receive feedback by August 15
- Spring Semester Start:
- Submit packet by November 15—receive feedback by December 15
Step Five: Take the Online “Music Theory Placement Test”
- The online Music Theory Placement Test is required for ALL music majors and minors.
- A link to the test will be sent to all applicants who have been accepted to the University and indicated their interest in a music major or minor.
- All new music students must take this test by August 1 or be automatically registered for the Music Theory Fundamentals course.
- Test content includes questions about the very basics of music theory such as clefs, note names, intervals, key signatures, major/minor scales and chords.
- Students will be notified of their test results via email.