The Cedarholm Library uses EBSCO (A.K.A. HOLMES) to search for information at the library. HOLMES gives you access to material physically available in the library in addition to other resources. Search HOLMES to the right or browse the sections below for more information on the Cedarholm Library.
In relation to libraries, research databases are collections of books, journals, images, etc., that help you as you’re conducting research. The Cedarholm Library has access to a number of databases outside of EBSCO. These databases are useful for any area of study. You can see the current offerings on the Databases page.
We have several helpful programs on our computers here in the library — Bible programs, counseling programs, music programs, and more! See our Computer Programs page for details.
Paper style guidelines
The authoritative sources for each documentation style (APA, MLA, and Chicago/Turabian) are the style manuals themselves. You can easily find these in the Reference section of the library. Paper specifications may also vary based on guidelines that are specific to a particular course, teacher, or department. Be sure you know your teacher’s requirements for documentation styles.
These style guides are the most current editions of the following titles:
- APA style: Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association by the American Psychological Association
- MLA style: MLA Handbook for Writers by Joseph Gibaldi
- Turabian (also known as Chicago) style: A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Kate L. Turabian
- Turabian for Bible Department papers only: Quality Research Papers: For Students of Religion and Theology by Nancy J. Vhymeister
Although the authoritative source for each documentations style is the style manual, the following websites can be helpful as you format your paper:
We’ve gathered a number of websites over the years intended to help our students conduct research quicker and more easily.
- greek-language.com - Ancient Greek Manuscripts
- Hebrew manuscripts [in Hebrew]
- Babylonian Talmud [in English]
- Jewish National Library [in Hebrew]
- Theology Today Journal Online
- Internet resources in Biblical Studies
- UK evangelical journal covering theological issues
- Internet sources on Christian Theology
- Bibliography for different theological areas
- Google Books
- Google Theological Journals
- The Hall of Church History
- Resource for teachers to help teach writing
- Dictionary that pronounces and demonstrates usage via video
- Citation form helper...
- Internet archive of various books and documents
- Image/video/audio from the WWII era
- Historical American Papers (1858-1922)
- Atlas of the Historical Geography of the United States
- Historical Maps
- Historical Maps
- Various historical collections from the Library of Congress
- Current Information on human trafficking
- OpenCulture - "The best free cultural &educational media on the web"
- BBC Languages
- Statistical world development data
- Official energy statistics
- National Security Archives
- Transparent and Accountable Government
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Monitors global peace
- United Kingdom Doctoral Theses
- Disabilities Studies Quarterly - Open Access Journal
- Annual Disability Statistics Compendium - Collects survey data related to disabilities
- Center for Disability Studies - Current Free PDF publications on disabilities
- Center for Disability Studies - Archived Free PDF publications on disabilities
- Cultural, contemporary videos
- Independent news covering social justice, environment, political, and cultural issues
- Investigation of corporate violations of human rights, environmental crimes, and corruption
- Covers nature, wildlife, and science challenges that confront our planet;looking for solutions
- Features emerging technology and analysis of their commercial, social, and political impact
- Open Access Journals
- Google Scholar
- Online video creation / sharing software
- Online library / citation reference software
- Free citation reference program
- Free online chart maker
- U of Michigan free ebooks
- A collection of digitized titles from academic &research institutions libraries around the world.
- Project Gutenberg delivers over 42,000 free ebooks