Where can you instill young minds with a love for learning, for life, and for truth? Consider majoring in Elementary Education at Maranatha, where you not only learn to teach the three Rs, but you also model integrity, practice fairness, recognize each child's strengths, and reward good effort.
Whether your future classroom is in a Christian school, in a public school, at home, or on a mission field, this program equips you to fulfill your calling as an effective teacher, committed to excellence.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to identify a variety of differences among elementary-aged children and individualize instruction accordingly.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively plan for instruction, incorporating a wide variety of strategies for instruction and classroom management.
- Students will demonstrate thorough knowledge and application to the teaching of their content in language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to conduct and interpret a wide variety of assessments.
- Students will demonstrate professionalism in education.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to teach content according to a biblical worldview.
Suggested Course Schedule
- Intro. to Sociology (3)
- Math for the Elementary Teacher 1 (3)
- Old Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 1 (3)
- The Modern World (3)
- Geography Course (3)
Total Credits: 15
- Freshman Fieldwork (0)
- Foundations of Education (2)
- Math for the Elementary Teacher 2 (3)
- New Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 2 (3)
- Fundamentals of Public Speaking (2)
- Minor (3)
Total Credits: 16
- Minor (3)
- Early Childhood Education
- Learning Disabilities
- Social Studies Education
Potential Career Fields
- Elementary and middle school teacher
- Educational consultant
- Curriculum developer
- Mission field teacher
*Some careers and employment positions require graduate degrees, specialized training, or additional certification and licenses.
ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT | LAURA STEVENS
Laura Stevens ('14) graduated with her Elementary Education degree and currently teaches 4th grade at Harvest Christian Academy on the island of Guam. "MBU's education gave me a great foundation for instruction in any school," shares Stevens. "One of the greatest aspects that I have been able to use is being able to modify instruction. I have many ESL students or transfer students, and they are all at different levels. In all of my education courses at MBU, we looked up RTI [Response to Intervention] procedures and how to implement different changes into the classroom. That is very practical for me. I use it everyday!" Stevens teaches reading to three different 4th grade classrooms and all subjects to her homeroom.
MBU Program Faculty
Meet some of the people in who lead this program
EdD Curriculum and Instruction, Bob Jones University
MEd Elementary Education, Bob Jones University
BS Elementary Education, Maranatha Baptist University
MA History, Clemson University
BS Social Studies Education, Bob Jones University
MS Special Education, University of North Dakota
MEd Teaching and Learning, Liberty University
MS Pupil Personnel Services, Bob Jones University
BS Elementary Education, Bob Jones University