Commencement 2023 Schedule of Events
Thursday, May 4, 2023
8:30 AM — Nurse Pinning Ceremony | Gymnasium
10:30 AM — Graduate Candidate Chapel | Gymnasium
12:00 noon — Graduate Luncheon | Dining Complex
1:30 PM — Graduation Rehearsal | Gymnasium
7:00 PM — Baccalaureate | Gymnasium
Friday, May 5, 2023
8:30–9:30 AM — Graduate photos, regalia check, and roll call
10:00 AM — Convocation | Gymnasium
12:00 noon — Lunch available in Dining Complex
Tickets are required for Convocation main floor seating. Open seating will be available in the bleachers.
Nursery is provided for Baccalaureate and Commencement. Children under 5 years old will not be permitted in either service.
MBU Commencement is a formal academic ceremony, conducted with dignity. Proper attire and respectful behavior are expected.
Important Information for Graduates
- Tickets are not required for seating at Baccalaureate on Thursday evening.
- Tickets are required for main floor seating at Convocation on Friday morning.
- Graduates must request reserved seating tickets for their guests by submitting the Convocation Ticket Request Form between January 15 and March 15.
- Each graduate is guaranteed up to three (3) tickets. Additional tickets may be requested but are not guaranteed.
- Open seating is available on the bleachers (no tickets required).
- One VIP parking permit is provided with each graduate’s tickets. The parking permit cannot be replaced.
- Graduates will receive instructions regarding when and where to pick up their tickets and parking permits.
All candidates are required to wear approved academic regalia to participate in the commencement exercises.
- Regalia is worn for the Baccalaureate service without honor cords or hoods.
- Full regalia is worn for Convocation, including honor cords and hoods.
- Mortar boards should be worn flat on top of the head, not off the back. Decorating of caps is not permitted.
- Students may borrow regalia from a recent graduate, as long as it matches the regalia shown on the order form.
- Only Maranatha-issued items (honor cords, stoles/sashes, medals, etc.) may be worn over graduation regalia.
- Graduate candidates should order regalia by February 28.
- Contact Registrar@mbu.edu with questions about regalia.
|Degree||Regalia to order|
|MBBI||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Associate Degree||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Bachelor Degree||Bachelor degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel)|
|Dual Bachelor and Master Degree||Master degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
|Master Degree||Master degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
|Doctoral Degree||Doctoral degree regalia (gown, cap, tassel, hood)|
Academic honors are given to graduating seniors based upon their cumulative grade point average. Students receiving such honors are identified by honor cords.
- Associate degree with honors (3.50–4.00), white cord
- Cum Laude (3.50–3.74), blue/blue cord
- Magna Cum Laude (3.75–3.90), blue/gold cord
- Summa Cum Laude (3.91–4.00), gold/gold cord
The academic honors recognized at graduation will be based on the student’s cumulative GPA for all completed courses as of April 1 in the academic year during which the student graduates, including highest and second-highest GPA, and commencement honors.
- Students will wear that specific honor regalia.
- The student’s final cumulative grade point average will determine the specific honor printed on the transcript and diploma.
Two undergraduates earning the highest grade point averages for the graduating class will be awarded medals signifying that honor. The medals will be awarded on Friday morning prior to Convocation.
Diplomas and one official transcript will be mailed to degree candidates approximately six to eight weeks after all the requirements for the degree are completed and final grades are submitted.
Degree candidates will receive an empty diploma cover when crossing the stage at Convocation. Diploma covers are available upon request from the Registrar’s Office for graduates who will not be in attendance at Commencement.
Important Information for Guests
- Check back for updates
While most of MBU’s housing will be full the week of Commencement, there are various hotels and bed and breakfasts in the Watertown area.