THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2023
If you are studying advanced level literature and want to challenge yourself, consider applying for our Scholarship Piano Competition for high school students held the Thursday afternoon before Great Lakes Music Festival. Accepted applicants receive detailed feedback and are awarded an overall rating based on their performance. In addition to a $300 cash award, MBU scholarships ranging from $1000 to $3500 will be awarded to top performers. After the event, contestants connect with MBU faculty during a complimentary dinner. If you want to push yourself to the next level, take advantage of this motivating opportunity. See details below, and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Openings are limited.
- Age: Contestants must be advanced-level pianists in 9-12th grade.
- Performances: The competition is open to the public, and competitors are strongly encouraged to listen to the other performers.
- Feedback: All contestants receive detailed written feedback via email within one week of the performance. Evaluation Form
- Attire: Contestants should dress professionally. Men: ties or sport coats, dress pants, and dress shoes. Women: dress pants or dresses/skirts to the top of the knee or longer and no low cut tops (if performing as the winner on Saturday, please wear a longer skirt due to the piano’s location).
- Performance Times: Entrants will be notified of their assigned performance time via email by the second Tuesday of January (January 10, 2023).
- Date: Thursday afternoon before Great Lakes Music Festival (January 26, 2023).
- Announcement of Winners: The winners will be announced and awarded their scholarships and cash prizes 15 minutes after the final performance.
- Dinner: Following the last performance of the afternoon and announcement of the winners (approximately 5:15 PM), competitors and their families/friends are asked to join some of MBU’s music faculty for dinner in MBU’s Dining Complex. Complimentary tickets will be provided for the contestants, and family and friends may purchase tickets at the DC door.
- Number of Pieces: Contestants should perform two memorized selections.
- Types of Pieces: The pieces need to be contrasting in style. One piece needs to be Baroque or Classical, and the other piece needs to be Romantic, Impressionistic, 20th Century, or Sacred Arrangement. No original compositions, and the selections must be solo literature.
- Level: The repertoire must be at a minimum level of Masterwork Classics Book 9/Celebration Series Repertoire Book 8.
- Length: The repertoire must be less than 15 minutes in length. Repeats are optional if the repeats can be played within the allotted time.
- Application: Complete the online competition application (contestants must perform the pieces listed on their registration forms).
- Fee: Pay $30 online.
- Deadline: Applications and payments must be submitted by the second Tuesday of January at the latest (January 10, 2023). Early applications are encouraged because openings are limited.
PIANO COMPETITION PRIZES
1st Place: MBU Scholarship*, $300 Cash Award, and Encore performance of one piece at the Great Lakes Music Festival Concert on Saturday, January 28, 2023.
2nd Place: MBU Scholarship*
3rd Place: MBU Scholarship*
Special Honors: Based on the judges’ ratings, contestants may also be awarded one of the following honors – Honors, High Honors, High Honors with Distinction
*Scholarship amounts may range from $1,000 to $3,500 and are for MBU Music Majors or Minors completing residential work. First time winners will receive the scholarship amount their Freshman year. Second time winners will receive the second scholarship their Sophomore year etc. Scholarships are non-transferrable and may not be used for MBU Online.