Perhaps your primary long-term interest is in the field of medicine, and you are looking for a program that provides a solid foundation in biology, taught from a Christian perspective.
The pre-medical track of Maranatha’s Biology major equips you with the academic and laboratory skills needed to pursue graduate education in medicine, sports medicine, physical therapy, or physician assistant programs.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to comprehensively explain concepts and issues in biology.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to design experiments to test original hypotheses using appropriate laboratory or field procedures.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply science and mathematics in the analysis and interpretation of data from lab experiments.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to present scientific research and critical analysis in oral presentations and technical writing.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use scientific knowledge to declare the glory of the Creator as revealed in the Bible and His creation.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to function as a servant leader in a team environment.
Suggested Course Schedule
- General Biology 1 (4)
- General Chemistry 1 (4)
- Old Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 1 (3)
- Music Elective (2)
Total Credits: 16
- New Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 2 (3)
- General Biology 2 (4)
- General Chemistry 2 (4)
- The Modern World (3)
Total Credits: 17
Potential Career Fields
- Physician assistant
- Physical therapist
*Some careers and employment positions require graduate degrees, specialized training, or additional certification and licenses.
ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT | BRIAN LUNDQUIST
Several months before graduating from Maranatha, Brian Lundquist ('14) was accepted into the Physician Assistant program at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) in Boston. "The science courses at Maranatha have provided a solid foundation for me to build upon as I pursue higher education in the medical field," said Lundquist. "The exceptional instruction I received in the Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, and Molecular Genetics Research courses has allowed me to better grasp the material I am studying currently and obtain success on a graduate level." Lundquist plans to become a fully licensed Physician Assistant, which will allow him to "diagnose and treat illnesses, prescribe medications, perform surgeries, and provide general care" for patients.
MBU Program Faculty
Meet some of the people in who lead this program
PhD, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada
BS, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Canada
PhD Engineering Sciences/Biotechnology, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiories de Monterrey, Monterrey, NL, Mexico
BMed, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiories de Monterrey, Monterrey, NL, Mexico
PhD Chemistry, University of Nebraska
BS Chemistry, Cedarville College
MAT Teaching Mathematics, University of Idaho
BS Mathematics Education, Maranatha Baptist University