Perhaps your primary long-term interest is in the field of medicine, and you are looking for a program that provides a solid foundation in biology, taught from a Christian perspective.
The pre-medical track of Maranatha’s Biology major equips you with the academic and laboratory skills needed to pursue graduate education in medicine, sports medicine, physical therapy, or physician assistant programs.
- Physician assistant
- Physical therapist
*Some careers and employment positions require graduate degrees, specialized training, or additional certification and licenses.
Biology: Pre-Medical Program Outcomes
- Command of basic concepts of biology on the molecular, cellular, organismal, and ecological level, as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Biology 1 and 2.
- Understand the taxonomy, anatomy, and physiology of animals and human as demonstrated with a C- or above in General Biology 1&2 and Anatomy and Physiology 1&2.
- Understand the basis of the microbial world including microbe-human interactions with applications in healthcare as demonstrated by a C- or above in Microbiology.
- Understand basic chemical structures and reactions as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Chemistry 1&2, Organic Chemistry 1.
- Understand common biochemical processes as demonstrated by a C- or above in Biochemistry.
- Understand and apply basic principles of statistics with applications to scientific research, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Probabilities and Statistics.
- Be able to compose scientific papers as demonstrated by a C- or above in Technical Writing, and a passing grade on an original report of scientific research in Ecology Cell and Molecular Biology or Biochemistry.
- Belief in young-earth creationism. Be able to defend the Christian faith Biblically as demonstrated by a C- or above in Modern Creationary Thought and Apologetics.
- For the Premed track, knowledge and problem-solving skills in physics as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Physics 1&2; familiarity with the mechanisms of organic chemical reactions as demonstrated by a C- or above in Organic Chemistry 2.
- Demonstrate a broad variety of knowledge and field work skills in botany, zoology, and ecology as demonstrated by a C- or above in Botany, Vertebrate Zoology, Ecology, and Laboratory & Field Investigations.
- Command of the basic knowledge and skills to conduct laboratory research in genetics and molecular biology, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Genetics, Molecular and Cell Biology 1&2, and Molecular Genetics Research.
- As leaders in local churches and society, students are to demonstrate a well-rounded education with a C- or above in the humanities and Bible core courses.