Perhaps your primary long-term interest is in the field of medicine, and you are looking for a program that provides a solid foundation in biology, taught from a Christian perspective.
The pre-medical track of Maranatha’s Biology major equips you with the academic and laboratory skills needed to pursue graduate education in medicine, sports medicine, physical therapy, or physician assistant programs.
- Command of basic concepts of biology on the molecular, cellular, organismal, and ecological level, as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Biology 1 and 2.
- Understand the taxonomy, anatomy, and physiology of animals and human as demonstrated with a C- or above in General Biology 1&2 and Anatomy and Physiology 1&2.
- Understand the basis of the microbial world including microbe-human interactions with applications in healthcare as demonstrated by a C- or above in Microbiology.
- Understand basic chemical structures and reactions as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Chemistry 1&2, Organic Chemistry 1.
- Understand common biochemical processes as demonstrated by a C- or above in Biochemistry.
- Understand and apply basic principles of statistics with applications to scientific research, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Probabilities and Statistics.
- Be able to compose scientific papers as demonstrated by a C- or above in Technical Writing, and a passing grade on an original report of scientific research in Ecology Cell and Molecular Biology or Biochemistry.
- Belief in young-earth creationism. Be able to defend the Christian faith Biblically as demonstrated by a C- or above in Modern Creationary Thought and Apologetics.
- For the Premed track, knowledge and problem-solving skills in physics as demonstrated by a C- or above in General Physics 1&2; familiarity with the mechanisms of organic chemical reactions as demonstrated by a C- or above in Organic Chemistry 2.
- Demonstrate a broad variety of knowledge and field work skills in botany, zoology, and ecology as demonstrated by a C- or above in Botany, Vertebrate Zoology, Ecology, and Laboratory & Field Investigations.
- Command of the basic knowledge and skills to conduct laboratory research in genetics and molecular biology, as demonstrated by a C- or above in Genetics, Molecular and Cell Biology 1&2, and Molecular Genetics Research.
- As leaders in local churches and society, students are to demonstrate a well-rounded education with a C- or above in the humanities and Bible core courses.
Suggested Course Schedule
- General Biology 1 (4)
- General Chemistry 1 (4)
- Old or New Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 1 (3)
- Music Elective (2)
Total Credits: 16
- Old or New Testament Survey (3)
- English Composition 2 (3)
- General Biology 2 (4)
- General Chemistry 2 (4)
- The Modern World (3)
Total Credits: 17
Potential Career Fields
- Physician assistant
- Physical therapist
*Some careers and employment positions require graduate degrees, specialized training, or additional certification and licenses.
ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT | BRIAN LUNDQUIST
Several months before graduating from Maranatha, Brian Lundquist ('14) was accepted into the Physician Assistant program at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) in Boston. "The science courses at Maranatha have provided a solid foundation for me to build upon as I pursue higher education in the medical field," said Lundquist. "The exceptional instruction I received in the Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, and Molecular Genetics Research courses has allowed me to better grasp the material I am studying currently and obtain success on a graduate level." Lundquist plans to become a fully licensed Physician Assistant, which will allow him to "diagnose and treat illnesses, prescribe medications, perform surgeries, and provide general care" for patients.
MBU Program Faculty
Meet some of the people in who lead this program
PhD, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada
BS, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Canada
PhD Engineering Sciences/Biotechnology, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiories de Monterrey, Monterrey, NL, Mexico
BMed, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiories de Monterrey, Monterrey, NL, Mexico
PhD Chemistry, University of Nebraska
BS Chemistry, Cedarville College
MAT Teaching Mathematics, University of Idaho
BS Mathematics Education, Maranatha Baptist University